|NAME||Sugihara Genjin / 杉原元人|
|BIRTH & DEATH||1912-2009|
|PEN NAME||元人, 獨醒居|
|RECORD OF AWARDS||
Sugihara Genjin (杉原元人, 1912-2009) was a Japanese-style painter. Born in Mie pref. Graduated from the Kawabata Art School (Kawabata ga gakkō) of Kawabata Gyokushō. Pupil of Kodama Kibō. Senior counselor of the Nitten. Led the Japanese art world from the 1980s. Famous for presenting his work to the Imperial Family. Awarded the 4th Class of Order of the Order of the Sacred Treasure in 1996. His specialty was landscape paintings in ultramarine colour.
- 1912: Born in Mie pref.
- 1946: Became a pupil of Kodama Kibō
- 1946: Won a prize for the first time at the Nitten.
- 1955: Won the “Hakujushō” award at the 11th Nitten exhibition.
- 1968: Won the “Kikkashō” award at the 11th Nitten exhibition.
- 1969: Became a judge of the 1st Kaiso Nitten exhibition. (Became again in 1977, 1984, 1987 and 1992)
- 1970: Became a member of the Nitten.
- 1978: Presented his work to the Imperial Family.
- 1985: Became a counselor of the Nitten.
- 1985: Became a judge of the Nisshunten exhibition.
- 1985: Became a committee member of the Nisshunten.
- 1989: Received the Medal with Dark Blue Ribbon.
- 1992: Became a senior counselor of the Nitten.
- 1993: Received the Minister of Education Award at the Nitten exhibition in 1993.
- 1996: Awarded the 4th Class of Order of the Order of the Sacred Treasure.
- 2009: Died.
Kamikouchi Painting / Genjin Sugihara | Kakejiku Scroll
This is a painting of Kamikouchi by Genjin Sugihara. This kakejiku (Japanese hanging scroll) is ...
Woodcutter's Way Home / Genjin Sugihara | Kakejiku Scroll
This is a painting of a woodcutter by Genjin Sugihara using only ultramarine sumi (ink). This ka ...